Before you start your placement you should make sure that you know the basic details of your work placement:
- The name of your employer
- The address of the business
- The phone number of the business
- The name of your contact person
Once that has been established, there are still some things that you need to do in the weeks before your placement begins:
Contact and/or meet your employer
If you haven’t already met your employer, you MUST do so before your placement starts. If you have already met your employer, then you must speak to your employer by phone during the week before you placement starts, just to touch base.
Check the necessary details with your employer
Find out (or make a final check on) the following details:
- Your start and finish times each day.
- What should you wear? What is appropriate in that particular workplace?
- What lunch arrangements will you need to make? What is expected? What is available?
- Any other special requirements or arrangements you will need to be aware of?
- What you will be doing during your week at work? Discuss with the employer the types of tasks that you might be given and the possible program you could be following. This step is very important. It is one way that you can show some interest in the workplace and impress your employer even before you arrive at work!
Organise your transport
Organise in advance how you will get to and from work each day. Travel arrangements are your own responsibility.
Get all of your questions answered
Discuss with your employer, teachers and family any concerns or questions you might have regarding your placement.